Reading / Studying Poems
By Bob Holman & Margery Snyder, About.com Guides
Theme Poem Collections
Our anthologies of classic and contemporary poems gathered by topic, theme, season or occasion.
- Poems of War: A collection of classic war poems
- Poems for Peace: A contemporary About Poetry anthology
- Love Poems: A collection of classic poems for Valentine's Day
- Winter Poems
- Spring Poems
- Christmas Poems: A collection of classic poems for Christmas
- Poems for Mothers: A collection of classic poems for Mother's Day
- Poems for Fathers: A collection of classic poems for Father's Day
- Summer Poems
- Poems for Independence Day: A selection of American poems for July 4th
- Poems After the Attack: A "contemporaneous" 9/11 anthology
- Poems for Election Day: A selection of American poems
- Halloween Poems
- Poems for Thanksgiving Day: A selection of American poems
Descriptions and examples of the traditional poetic forms, as well as our articles on newly invented forms of poetry.
- Traditional Poetic Forms: From acrostic to ghazal to pantoum to sonnet
- Concrete Poetry/VisPo: Poems Take Shape on the Screen
- Allen Ginsberg's American Sentences: An Introduction to His Variation on Haiku
- The Rothko: A New Poetic Form Invented by Bob Holman
- Fibonacci Poems: A New Mathematical Form, by Georgia Luna Smith Faust
- Sparrow's Mathemetrics Spree
Collections of Classic Poems
Our library of classic poems by the great poets: William Blake, Robert Burns, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Emily Dickinson, Robert Frost, Walt Whitman, William Wordsworth, and more.
- Poems by William Blake
- Poems by Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- Poems by Robert Browning
- Poems by Robert Burns
- Poems by George Gordon, Lord Byron
- Poems by Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- Poems by Emily Dickinson
- Poems by Robert Frost
- Poems by Thomas Hardy
- Poems by John Keats
- Poems by Amy Lowell
- Poems by Edna St. Vincent Millay
- Poems by Edgar Allan Poe
- Poems by Carl Sandburg
- Poems from Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
- Poems by William Wordsworth
- Poems by William Butler Yeats
Study Guides for Classic Poems
Notes on context, content, and form to help you understand how these great poems work their magic.
- Burning Questions: A Guide to William Blake's "The Tyger"
- Dreaming of Xanadu: A Guide to Samuel Taylor Coleridge's "Kubla Khan"
- The "Tricky" Poem: A Guide to Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken"